15 percent of American Adults Have Used Internet-Based Dating Apps
Have you ever used online dating sites before? It seems like more and more people have started using online apps to turn up their dating life.
As a matter of fact, 15 percent of American adults have used online dating sites or mobile dating apps according to the Pew Research Center. Between July 10 and July 12, 2015, the Pew Research Center conducted a national study amongst 2,001 adults, and they found that:
- 12% of American adults have used an online dating site, which is a 3% spike from early 2013.
- 9% of American adults have used a mobile dating app on their cellphone, which has been tripled since early 2013, back when only 3% of Americans had used those applications, like Tinder, Grindr, OKCupid, Badoo.
Putting those numbers together, there is a total of 15% of American adults who report that they have used online dating and/or mobile dating apps, which is up from the 11% who reported their activity two years prior. This number is primarily because of the demographics that are using online dating as a means to find love – adults between the ages of 18 and 24 and adults on the opposite end of the spectrum, from their late 50s to their early 60s.
The percentage of 18 to 24 year olds who reported doing so has tripled in the last two years; 27% of the young adults report that they have done so now. Those who exist between the ages of 55 and 64 have seen their percentage doubled as about 12% of those adults now report to using dating applications of any sort.
One of the more interesting facts of this survey is that 41% of Americans know someone who uses online dating, and 29% of Americans know someone who has met their spouse or long-term partner through a dating application. It seems like college graduates know the most as 58% of them know someone who uses online dating, and 46% of college graduates know someone who has entered a long-term relationship.
Some other key findings from this survey include information about the safety and comfort with online dating:
- 80% of Americans who have online dating think that is a good way to meet people.
- 61% say that online dating is easier and it is more efficient than other ways of meeting people.
- 31% of Americans think that online dating keeps people from
To read the survey, make sure to check it out here or see the rest of the overview here.
(Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images for Billboard)